- Side part lookbook
- Good to know
- What is a side part?
- Styling tips
- Must-have products for the side part
Side part lookbook
Below you will find the most common variations on the side part. Found a style that you think would suit you? Then take the photos to your hairdresser or barber and explain to him why you chose this specific style.
The classic and most popular side part
The short and most chosen version: the classic side part. The perfect mix between casual, smart and suitable for any occasion.
Good to know
- The side part works well with square, oval and diamond-shaped faces, but of course this is not a requirement at all and you should just get a hairstyle that you think suits you well.
- These days the side part is worn by children, teenagers and adult men and is therefore not age-dependent.
- Your hair should be between 5 and 10 centimeters long. Any shorter and your hair will stand on end. Any longer and chances are you will have to use a lot of pomade or wax to keep your hair in shape.
- Longer hair means more volume on your side part.
- In general, a side part is combined with a shave from the neck on setting 3-6.
- Straight hair is the easiest hair type for achieving a side part, but those of you with curly hair can also sport this hairstyle. See the lookbook further down.
- Other names / synonyms for the side part are: the business haircut and the parting.
Are you looking for a short and trendy hairstyle that you can style quickly and that will work for any occasion?
Then the side part is the hairstyle for you. The side part (also known as combover) is also one of the classic men’s hairstyles and can be worn by men of any age.
The side part falls within the category of smart casual and truly gives you the best of both worlds. Are you planning a formal business dinner, a graduation ceremony or a casual date with Carice van Houten?
No problem, the side part has gained a reputation as a reliable hairstyle with a hint of playful in the mix.
The side part has always been a popular haircut. This is constantly being confirmed by the music and film world, where celebrities such as Don Draper (Jon Hamm), George Clooney and Justin Timberlake appear on the red carpet rocking the hairstyle.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to style your hair, share lookbooks with you and briefly explain the history of this hairstyle.
→ Read more: Hair trends and hairstyles of 2021, including the side part!
→ The side part can also be worn with long hair. You can read more about this in this guide to long hair. The guide below is about the short side part.
What is a side part?
As you can deduce from its name, the side part is a hairstyle in which the hair is parted along a visible line (the parting) on the top of the head.
This then creates two separate “parts” on the head (hence the name side part).
The top and sides are cut in a traditional way with a parting to create the timeless, classic look. This results in a short and smooth hairstyle.
Styling tips for a side part
To easily style your hair, we recommend using your fingers to apply a good quality, medium-hold pomade or clay to towel-dried hair.
If you’re going for the sleek, slick back look, use a generous amount of pomade. If you want a more casual look, then you only need a small amount of pomade to style your hair.
Rub the pomade warm between your palms and spread it evenly over the top and sides. Next, use a comb to comb back the hair on top of your head. At this point you will have a sort of crest.
Now determine where you want the parting on your head and comb the sides down from that point. The next step is to choose whether you want the parting on the left or the right.
With a comb, bring all of your hair on top to the other side and back from the point of the parting.
→ Read our in-depth buying guide for the best pomades of the moment
If you are having trouble creating volume, you can use a hair dryer while combing your hair back.
- Spread a medium-hold pomade or clay over your hair
- Comb the hair on top of your head back
- Choose a point where you want the parting to sit
- From this point, comb the sides down and the top in the opposite direction and back
- Use hairspray if necessary if you have used too little pomade to give enough hold
The side part is a versatile hairstyle in the sense that you can experiment with different types of pomade. Try using a little less or more pomade to see what suits you best.
Products for styling the side part
The side part is a short and practical hairstyle that you can style within 5 minutes in the morning. Use:
A combi-comb with coarse and fine teeth
After you have applied a hair product with your fingers and spread it over your hair, you can style your hair with a comb. If you’re going for the slick back look, choose a fine-toothed comb.
If you’re going for the casual look, choose a comb with coarse teeth so that you can get a tousled style.
A medium-hold pomade
Reuzel green is an oil-based pomade and is a popular product among men. The stuff smells good, easily shapes your hair and is affordable. Please note: oil-based pomades are difficult to wash out.